For Residents or Post-Residency Fellows
The purpose of this fellowship is to provide the opportunity for a resident or fellow in a surgical discipline to spend one year full-time receiving training in the design, conduct, and interpretation of clinical research under the mentorship of a member of the Surgical Infection Society, and to foster interest in surgical infections as a career focus. Applications in this category will not be eligible for consideration in other award categories.
The proposed research project must be relevant to the broad discipline of surgical infectious diseases, and the application will be adjudicated primarily on the basis of scientific merit. However, the SIS Foundation recognizes the important role of mentorship in career development, and expects that a strong mentor-trainee relationship and the goals of training will be described as part of the application. Favorable consideration will be afforded to applications that describe explicitly the interaction of the mentor and trainee as collaborators in the scientific research, and in the career development of the trainee.
Favorable consideration will also be afforded to an expression of intent on the part of the applicant to enroll in a graduate degree program in a relevant field (e.g., Master of Public Health, Master of Science in Clinical Investigation).
Award amount: 1 year, $35,000.
Eligibility and Criteria:
- Residents or fellows who have completed at least two years of post-graduate training in a surgical discipline are eligible to apply for the SIS Foundation Clinical Research Training Fellowship.
- Applicants must join the SIS as a Candidate Member.
- During the award year, the recipient will submit an abstract to and attend the SIS Annual Meeting. The recipient will also be invited to present at a special session for award winners.
- All other current and pending extra-mural funding must be disclosed at the time of application.
- Competitive renewal applications will be accepted for a second consecutive year. Consideration will be based on the quality of the renewal application and the productivity during the award year.
- SIS Fellowship online application form
- NIH-style Biosketch
- Research proposal (5 pages, single space, 11 point font, 1 inch margins)
- Including Abstract, Significance, Innovation, Preliminary Studies, Approach
- Research budget
- Evidence of current or pending institutional approval (IRB, IACUC, etc.)
- Training/mentorship plan for the applicant
- Current and pending support
- Letters of support
- Department Chair (may also serve as mentor/sponsor letter if appropriate)
- Letter must indicate institutional support and a guarantee of adequate protected time.
- Other SIS Member
Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by the members of the Awards Committee and scored according to NIH guidelines. Recommendations for award will be made to the SIS Foundation for Education and Research for final decision regarding funding.
Submission Deadline: December 15, 2017
Award Acceptance: Award winners will be notified at the SIS Annual Meeting Awards Banquet in April, 2018. The funding period will begin July 1, 2018. The award recipient will be expected to provide a brief summary of the completed research at a special session of the SIS Annual Meeting at the conclusion of the award period.
Note: Unexpended funds must be remitted back to the Foundation at the end of the award period.
Complete the SIS Fellowship application online or download the SIS Fellowship application form. These forms must be downloaded from the website, completed on your computer, and sent via e-mail to Doctor Burke. The instructions regarding completion of the SIS Fellowship forms must be followed.
Questions? Please contact:
Peter A. Burke, MD
Boston Medical Center
One Boston Medical Center Place
Dowling 2 South, Suite 2505
Boston, MA 02118