Deadline - Dec 15th
This fellowship will support a junior faculty member in basic/translational research that supports the mission of the Surgical Infection Society. Fellowship funding is $35,000 for 1 year with the opportunity to apply for a competitive renewal to earn a second year of funding.
Eligibility and Criteria:
- Residents or fellows who have completed at least two years of post-graduate training in a surgical discipline are eligible to apply for the SIS Foundation Basic or Translational Research Training Fellowship.
- Applicants must join the SIS as a Candidate Member.
- During the award year, the recipient will submit an abstract to and attend the SIS Annual Meeting. The recipient will also be invited to present at a special session for award winners.
- All other current and pending extra-mural funding must be disclosed at the time of application.
- Competitive renewal applications will be accepted for a second consecutive year. Consideration will be based on the quality of the renewal application and the productivity during the award year.
- SIS Fellowship online application form
- NIH-style Biosketch
- Research proposal (5 pages, single space, 11 point font, 1 inch margins)
- Including Abstract, Significance, Innovation, Preliminary Studies, Approach
- Research budget
- Evidence of current or pending institutional approval (IRB, IACUC, etc.)
- Training/mentorship plan for the applicant
- Current and pending support
- Letters of support
- Department Chair (may also serve as mentor/sponsor letter if appropriate)
- Letter must indicate institutional support and a guarantee of adequate protected time.
- Other SIS Member
Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by the members of the Awards Committee and scored according to NIH guidelines. Recommendations for award will be made to the SIS Foundation for Education and Research for final decision regarding funding.
Submission Deadline: December 15, 2018
Award Acceptance: Award winners will be notified at the SIS Annual Meeting Awards Banquet in June 2019. The funding period will begin July 1, 2019. The award recipient will be expected to provide a brief summary of the completed research at a special session of the SIS Annual Meeting at the conclusion of the award period.
Note: Unexpended funds must be remitted back to the Foundation at the end of the award period.
Complete the SIS Fellowship application online or download the SIS Fellowship application form. These forms must be downloaded from the website, completed on your computer, and sent via e-mail to Dr. Burke by December 15th. The instructions regarding completion of the SIS Fellowship forms must be followed.
Questions? Please contact:
Peter A. Burke, MD
Boston Medical Center
One Boston Medical Center Place
Dowling 2 South, Suite 2505
Boston, MA 02118