This year we are offering two Junior Faculty Fellowships. See below for new criteria.
Fellowship Application Submission is Now Open!
This fellowship will support a junior faculty member in basic/translational research that supports the mission of the Surgical Infection Society. Fellowship funding is $35,000 for 1 year with the opportunity to apply for a competitive renewal to earn a second year of funding.
Eligibility and Criteria:
- Applicants must be full-time faculty members at the rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor for no more than five years at the time of application. Promotion to Associate Professor is permissible during the award period.
- Applicants must be full members of the Surgical Infection Society at the time of application.
- Attendance by the award recipient is expected at the Annual Meeting of the SIS during the award year(s).
- All other current and pending extra-mural funding must be disclosed at the time of application.
- SIS Fellowship online application form
- NIH-style Biosketch
- Research proposal (5 pages, single space, 11 point font, 1 inch margins)
- Including Abstract, Significance, Innovation, Preliminary Studies, Approach
- Research budget
- Evidence of current or pending institutional approval (IRB, IACUC, etc.)
- Current and pending support
- Letters of support
- Department Chair (sponsor letter if appropriate)
- Letter must indicate institutional support.
- Letter must indicate that all funds provided will be used for the award recipient's salary or direct research costs.
- Each applicant should identify a mentee who is participating on the proposed project. This should also include a description of a specific mentoring plan for the appointed mentee.
- SIS Member (if Chair is not an SIS member)
Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by the members of the Awards Committee and scored according to NIH guidelines. Recommendations for award will be made to the SIS Foundation for Education and Research for final decision regarding funding.
Submission Deadline: February 21, 2022.
Award Acceptance: Award winners will be notified at the SIS Annual Meeting Awards Banquet in April, 2022. The funding period will begin June 1, 2022. The award recipient will be expected to provide a summary of the completed research plan at a special session of the SIS Annual Meeting at the conclusion of the award period.
Note: Unexpended funds must be remitted back to the Foundation at the end of the award period.
Complete the SIS Fellowship application online or download the SIS Fellowship application form. These forms must be downloaded from the website, completed on your computer, and sent via e-mail to Dr. Kreiner. The instructions regarding completion of the SIS Fellowship forms must be followed.
Questions? Please contact:
Laura Kreiner, MD
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
2500 Metrohealth Dr.
Cleveland, OH 44109