The Sawyer Award is a new award to trainees to:
1) provide the means for trainees to attend the Annual Meeting,
2) be recognized for their outstanding abstract submission, and
3) network with members of the society with particular interest in mentoring.
Named in recognition of Past-President Robert Sawyer’s substantial and long-lasting commitment to mentoring surgical trainees in surgical infections research, this award reflects a core value of the SIS – the mentorship of future leaders in surgical infectious disease research.
2019 Sawyer Award Winner
Brian T. Young, MD
MetroHealth Medical Center
2018 Sawyer Award Winner
David Miranda, MD
University of Washington
Eligibility and Criteria:
- Residents or fellows who have completed at least two years of post-graduate training in a surgical discipline are eligible to apply.
- Recipients will not be eligible to receive another award from the society at the current meeting.
- Candidates must have an accepted abstract for the SIS Annual Meeting.
- Candidates must submit a one-page essay discussing their interest in surgery and career goals.
- Current curriculum vitae.
- 1 Letter of support from their Mentor/Sponsor.
- Award winners will be notified simultaneously that their abstract was accepted and if they are the Sawyer award winner.
- The award recipient will be expected to attend all aspects of the SIS Annual Meeting
- Recipients must complete a blogpost about their experience at the SIS Annual Meeting for the SIS website (Sisna.org).
- One individual will be chosen for this award each year.